Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Maleme Beach: Crete's Hidden Paradise (Stunning Photos!)

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Beach: Crete's Hidden Paradise (Stunning Photos!)

Maleme Beach: Crete's Hidden Paradise (Stunning Photos!) - My Honest, Messy, and Ultimately, Captivating Review

Alright, folks, buckle up. This isn’t your sanitized, PR-approved hotel review; this is the real deal. I've spent a week wrestling with the sun, the sea, and the surprisingly competitive gelato scene in Maleme, Crete, and I’m here to spill the beans on the Maleme Beach Hotel. Forget the glossy brochures – let’s get messy with it.

(Warning: May contain excessive enthusiasm for fluffy towels and salty air. You've been warned.)

First Impressions & Accessibility - Getting There & Gettin' In:

So, lemme tell you, getting to Maleme itself is half the fun. Coming from Chania Airport (CHQ), the airport transfer (available!) was a breeze. The drive is a scenic ballet of olive groves and winding coastal roads. And when you finally see the hotel… well, okay, it's not the Parthenon. But it's clean, it's breezy, and the staff? They immediately put you at ease, which, after a bumpy plane ride, is gold. The hotel touts its "Facilities for disabled guests" and I definitely saw an elevator (thank goodness!). Although I wasn’t testing it, the entrance looked pretty accessible, and the public areas were designed so you could still have a great time.

Important Note: While the hotel itself tries to appear accessible, I’m not an accessibility expert, so if you have specific needs, I strongly recommend contacting the hotel directly to verify. Be sure to ask about the exact nature of the accessible rooms, etc.

"Rooms, Glorious Rooms!" - My Personal Sanctuary & The Mini-Fridge Saga:

Okay, let’s talk about the rooms. Air conditioning? Check. Blackout curtains? Double-check. My room wasn't just a place to sleep; it was a haven from the Cretan sun. The bed? Extra long – a blessing for us taller folks like me, I needed it. The towels were fluffy, a surprisingly important detail that immediately puts you in vacation-mode. The coffee/tea maker was a lifesaver every morning, especially with that complimentary tea! The Wi-Fi [free] worked perfectly, and there’s even Internet access – wireless and Internet access – LAN, in case, you know, you need to work from paradise (I judged myself hard for that one). And the mini-bar? Let's just say it provided some ahem crucial refreshments during those late-night balcony stargazing sessions. My only small gripes were one tiny thing: my refrigerator started to get a mind of its own. Every day was an adventure of keeping ice cream in shape, and then the next day, it would fix itself?!

The Bathrooms - That Little Slice of Heaven, Especially with Bathrobes!

The bathroom was a clean, bright oasis. The separate shower/bathtub situation was perfect for a long soak after a day of sun-worshipping. Bathtub! The toiletries were actually good (no cheap stuff here!). And the bathrobes? Oh, the bathrobes! I lived in that robe. Honestly didn't even bother with the clothes!

Dining, Drinking, & Snacking – Fueling the Adventure (and My Inner Glutton):

Okay, let's just say my dietary habits took a turn for the adventurous in Crete. And I'm not sorry.

  • Restaurants: The hotel boasts a few options. The A la carte in restaurant was delightful, but the buffet in restaurant was, in all honesty, my go-to for breakfast. I could load up on fresh fruit, Western breakfast, and pastries. They had bacon! I'm a simple man. There's also a vegetarian restaurant…which I didn't try, but I was there in spirit!
  • Happy Hour: YES. Just YES. The poolside bar was the perfect spot to sip a cocktail and watch the sun melt into the sea.
  • Snack Bar: Essential for refueling after a swim.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant & Coffee shop: Caffeine, always.
  • Desserts in restaurant: All the desserts. All of them.

The Food Fight: A Buffet Anecdote

Here's a little confession: the buffet wasn't perfect. There were days when things ran out, but the staff were always quick to replenish. One morning, I arrived just as they were putting out a fresh batch of bougatsa (custard pie). I nearly threw elbows. But the pastry was worth fighting for! It was a glorious mess and a truly authentic experience!!

Swimming, Sunning & Spa-ing - My Pursuit of Leisure:

Okay, let's get to the good stuff. The hotel's Swimming pool [outdoor] is a beauty, overlooking the sea. It's the stuff of Instagram dreams. They have to offer and the view is really something. If you want to treat yourself more, there's a Spa! There's a Sauna, and a Steamroom. I opted for the massage, and it was pure bliss after a day of exploring. You can get a Body scrub, Body wrap too. I've been meaning to, but I was too busy enjoying myself! Need to get fit? There's a Gym/fitness Do you want to relax? You can get a Foot bath

Sanitation & Safety: Let's Keep it Real:

The hotel clearly takes hygiene seriously. I noticed the Daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff were masked up. My room also had little stickers showing the rooms had been thoroughly sanitized. The rooms sanitized between stays. The Safe dining setup, with appropriate physical distancing, was a great comfort. I felt pretty safe, which is important these days.

Things To Do, Places To See - Beyond the Beach:

Maleme itself is a fantastic base for exploring Crete. The hotel is just a short walk from the famous beaches, and the hotel can help you get around. You could be sitting on your Terrace or at the Poolside bar, but for exploration, you'll need them.

  • CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property - Made me feel safe
  • Safety/security feature
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Smoke alarms
  • Security [24-hour]
  • Doorman

The Little Things, The Services, and The Quirks:

  • Facilities for disabled guests
  • Front desk [24-hour]
  • Daily housekeeping
  • Concierge
  • Invoice provided
  • Bicycle parking
  • Meeting/banquet facilities
  • Gift/souvenir shop
  • Air conditioning in public area
  • Car park [free of charge]
  • Luggage storage

My Quirky Observation: The hotel has a Shrine! I'm not religious, but it added a touch of local charm.

For The Kids & The Romantics:

  • Babysitting service
  • Family/child friendly
  • Kids facilities
  • Couple's room
  • Proposal spot… I saw a couple get engaged! Swoon!

The Imperfections - Because Nothing is Perfect:

Look, no hotel is perfect. The Wi-Fi, while generally good, did drop out a couple of times, which was annoying when I was trying to get that essential gelato research done. Also, the TV channels weren’t the best. But honestly, I didn't watch much TV. I was too busy soaking up the sun!

The Verdict: Should YOU Book the Maleme Beach Hotel?

Absolutely, YES! This place isn't just a hotel; it's an experience. It's about waking up to the sound of the waves, the smell of the sea, and the promise of a day filled with sun, food, and relaxation. It’s about embracing the imperfections and enjoying the little things. While there's still room to improve, the hotel's focus on comfort, location, and service makes it a winner. If you're looking for a place to unwind, recharge, and maybe even get a little sunburned, Maleme Beach Hotel is the place to do it.

My Final Score: 4.5 out of 5 Fluffy Towels.


SEO Optimization - Because Google Needs to Know How Great This Place Is!

Keywords: Maleme Beach Hotel, Crete, Greece, vacation, hotel review, best hotels Crete, Chania, spa, pool, beachfront hotel, family-friendly, accessible hotel, Wi-Fi, restaurant, luxury, budget-friendly, what to do in Crete, European vacation, best beaches in Europe, Maleme, Greece travel, all-inclusive, relaxing vacation, family vacation, couple holiday.

SEO Snippets (for Google):

  • "Maleme Beach Hotel Review: Your Crete Paradise Awaits! Uncover the hidden gem of Mal
Bangalore Family Getaway: Your Dream Heritage Villa Awaits!

Book Now

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Maleme, Crete, and this ain't gonna be your perfectly polished brochure itinerary. This is a REAL trip, warts and all. Prepare for sunburn, questionable food choices, and maybe a little existential dread sprinkled in for good measure. Let's get messy!

MALEME MADNESS: A Cretan Odyssey - (Probably Slightly Unhinged) Itinerary

Day 1: Arrival & Accidental Sunset Appreciation

  • Morning: Arrive at Chania International Airport (CHQ). Honestly, the airport itself is nothing to write home about. It's functional, a bit hot, and the air conditioning is probably having a mid-life crisis. Finding the rental car – let's call it "The Sardine Can" – was a logistical nightmare. Greek drivers, bless their hearts, view traffic laws as "suggestions". Expect near-death experiences involving scooters and the occasional donkey.
  • Afternoon: Finally, miraculously, arrive in Maleme. Check into the "Sunshine Apartments" (not sure about the sunshine part yet, but optimistically hopeful). The room? Well, let's just say it's "rustic charm." The air-con probably dates back to the Minoans. First impressions: OH MY GOD, the sea is that ridiculous, perfect turquoise you see in the pictures! I need to swim. NOW.
  • Evening: Dinner at “Taverna Dounias.” Holy moly. I ordered the lamb. It was fall-off-the-bone delicious. My stomach is content. Watched the sun set over the Aegean Sea while nursing a bottle of local wine ("Aromatic Blend"; tastes like sunshine and joy). It was so stupidly beautiful, I nearly cried. Maybe the beauty is just too much, you know? Feeling a little overwhelmed. Maybe I’ll get used to it. Probably not.

Day 2: Beach Bliss and Baking Blunders

  • Morning: Beach time! Maleme beach is a mix of sand, pebbles, and a whole lotta sun. Spent a glorious few hours getting crispy like gyros on the beach. Tried to navigate the umbrellas and the sun lounger mafia. Seriously, it’s like a territorial game of thrones for beach real estate.
  • Afternoon: Decided to be ambitious. Attempted to make a Greek salad. Epic fail. Sliced my finger instead of the tomato. Bleeding, and my salad is half red, not green. At least I managed to find some of those incredible, juicy Cretan tomatoes. Wound up eating the tomatoes raw with some feta. Still tasted like heaven.
  • Evening: A stroll along the beachfront. Saw a crazy-loud wedding reception, the bouzouki music nearly vibrated my fillings loose. Seriously though, the Cretans know how to party. Watched the stars, felt small and significant.

Day 3: The War Cemetery and a Moment of Reflection (Followed by a Mess of Gyros)

  • Morning: Visited the German War Cemetery. Honestly, it's a sobering experience. The sheer number of names, the quiet solemnity… it really puts things into perspective. Felt a profound sense of respect, and the weight of history. It’s a reminder of how fragile peace is.
  • Afternoon: Needed a pick-me-up after the cemetery. Found a taverna offering "the best gyros in Maleme." The claim was, in fact, accurate. I inhaled the gyro faster than you can say "pita bread." Grease all over my face. Worth it.
  • Evening: Tried to learn some Greek. This is going to be a disaster. "Efharisto" (thank you) is about as far as I've gotten. Found another taverna that seemed friendly, ordered a local beer, and just enjoyed the ambiance. Watching people, eavesdropping on conversations I can't understand, but somehow feel connected to.

Day 4: (Mostly) Organized Chaos: Exploring Chania & a Foodie Frenzy

  • Morning: Attempt at driving to Chania. The Sardine Can and I nearly tangoed with a bus several times. Chania itself? Pure, chaotic gorgeousness. The Venetian harbor is stunning. The crowds? Less so. Navigating the narrow streets felt like playing a real-world game of Mario Kart.
  • Afternoon: This is where the food part begins. Found a tiny little market. Spent an embarrassing amount of time sniffing spices and trying to communicate with the vendors. The olives! The honey! The bread! My tastebuds are having a party. Bought way too much and ended up wandering aimlessly, overloaded with bags.
  • Evening: Dinner in Chania. Found a tiny, tucked-away taverna. Ordered everything. Literally. And it was all delicious. The tzatziki made my soul happy. Got lost in the labyrinthine streets of Chania (again) and then, and then… I had to buy another lemon olive oil. It's like the olive oil is calling to me.
  • Late Night: Almost missed the bus back to Maleme. Almost got stranded, which would have been fine.

Day 5: The Samaria Gorge (Maybe, Possibly, Probably Not - Or Maybe Just a Dip)

  • Morning: Woke up with the intention of doing Samaria Gorge. Realized I was still exhausted from Chania. The Gorge can wait. Beach day!
  • Afternoon: More beach bliss (and suncream reapplication). This time, found a shady spot under a fig tree. Read a trashy novel and listened to the waves. Pure, unadulterated relaxation. For maybe an hour, until the wasps showed up.
  • Evening: Dinner at a taverna on the beach. Ordered the grilled octopus. Texture was a little chewy, but the flavor? Amazing. Watching the sunset, trying not to get too sentimental (failing). Sipping Raki. Wondering if I'll ever leave Crete.

Day 6: Last Day: Raki, Regret, and the Road (Hopefully) Back to the Airport

  • Morning: One last swim. One last walk on the beach. Trying to soak it all in before leaving.
  • Afternoon: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Bought some postcards. Realized I should have bought more wine.
  • Evening: The Sad Sardine Can, and I are on the way back to the airport. This time, I had to almost get run off the road by a donkey (it's a long story). Ate an entire bag of cheese puffs I bought at the airport on the way.
  • Late Night: Boarding the plane. Looking back – Crete, you were messy, you were maddening, you were beautiful, and… I already miss you. Until next time, Maleme, until next time.

So yeah, that was probably a mess. But hey, that's life, right? Now go forth and plan your own adventure – and embrace the beautiful, imperfect chaos!

Alona Beach Backpacker's Paradise: Bohol's Hidden Gem Revealed!

Book Now

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island GreeceOkay, buckle up, buttercups! We're diving headfirst into the glorious mess that is Maleme Beach. Forget perfectly curated Instagram feeds. This is the *real* deal. And trust me, after spending a week practically *living* there, I've got a few things to say. Here's the FAQ, but, you know, *my* version…

So, Maleme Beach? Sounds…nice. Spill the beans! What's the *actual* vibe?

Okay, so "nice" is a massive understatement. Maleme? It's like…a secret handshake between you and the sun. You've got this long, mostly sandy beach, the water is that insane turquoise you only see in postcards…and then you have the *vibe*. It's laid-back, families, couples, a few adventurous solo travellers wandering around with their own internal monologues. No mega-resorts blaring awful music. Just…peace. Utter, beautiful peace. Unless, of course, *that* dog decides to bark at your toes again (more on that later).

Is it crowded? Because I *loathe* crowds.

Bless you, fellow anti-crowd warrior! It's *significantly* less crowded than the beaches closer to Chania. Even in peak season, you can usually find a decent spot to sprawl out. There might be times, around midday, when the sun loungers are all taken...but honestly, who needs a sun lounger? Find a spot on the sand, under your umbrella, and you're golden. Besides, a little bit of “close contact” might mean the next time you go to the shop you may find new friends from the beach.

What's the swimming like? Crystal clear water, maybe? (Please say crystal clear!)

Oh, it's *divine*. Seriously. Crystal clear? Absolutely. The water is usually calm, perfect for swimming. Snorkelling is decent, not *amazing*, but you'll see plenty of fish darting around the rocks near the shore. The best part? The water is usually warm enough to dive in without that initial "AAAAAH!" gasp. It's also pretty shallow for a good way out, which makes it perfect for children (or, you know, slightly clumsy adults like myself!). One time I spent a whole afternoon just floating around, staring up at the bluest sky I've ever seen. It was pure bliss...until a rogue wave decided to give me a sandy facial. Oops!

Food! Tell me about the food! What about those traditional Tavernas?

Alright, food is a *big* deal. Forget those bland, generic tourist traps. Maleme has real tavernas. The kind where the owner is genuinely happy to see you (and might even offer you a shot of raki at the end of your meal!). You'll find fresh seafood that tastes like the ocean itself, grilled to perfection. The Greek salad is a symphony of fresh tomatoes, creamy feta, and the best olive oil *ever*. And tzatziki? Don't even get me started. I'm practically drooling just thinking about it. *Important tip:* Don't be afraid to try something new. The local dishes are where it's at! My personal recommendation? The grilled octopus. It’s an experience.

Is everything expensive? Budget-friendly, or should I bring a second mortgage?

Compared to some of the more glamorous (and ridiculously overpriced) parts of Crete, Maleme is pretty budget-friendly. You can find affordable accommodation, especially if you're ok with staying slightly back from the beachfront. The food, thankfully, is generally very reasonable, especially at the tavernas outside of the main tourist drag. Now, here’s my mistake. I got into a bit of a "treat yourself" situation with the cocktails at the beachfront bar. Let's just say my budget took a *slight* hit. Learn from me: pace yourself on the ouzo! (Or don't, and just embrace the slightly fuzzy memories!)

I'm a history buff. Any historical stuff around?

Oh yes! Maleme is *steeped* in history. You're in close proximity to the Maleme airfield, which played a crucial role in the Battle of Crete during World War II. There are monuments and memorials scattered around, offering a poignant reminder of the past. Exploring the area, you can almost feel the echoes of history whispering in the wind. Just…be respectful. It’s important. And, for a totally different historical vibe, you can also visit the ancient Minoan site of Knossos – a day trip, but totally worth it! (Just prepare for the crowds there; you've been warned!) It is amazing to feel the history of the place you are in.

What about the nightlife? Is it a party town?

Party town? Absolutely not, thank goodness! Maleme is about relaxation, not all-night raves. There are a few bars that stay open later, but they're more likely to have a chilled vibe, with maybe some live music or a quiet chat. Expect to see a lot of people walking their dogs, enjoying life. I did once attempt to have a boogie, by the way. The local version of Shakira was absolutely incredible. But mostly, it’s about enjoying a sunset with a drink in hand, and then heading back to your accommodation for a good night’s sleep. Perfect!

Okay. So, the *dog*…you mentioned a dog? Tell me the story!

Oh, that dog. *She* became a legend. This scruffy little thing, a mix of…well, I'm not sure *what*, but definitely with a healthy dose of cheekiness. She lived somewhere near the beach and seemed to have a personal vendetta against anyone daring to dip their toes in the sea. Seriously, the minute I got close to the water, *bark!* From the safety of the nearby beach, she'd sit and watch me, a tiny guardian of the coastline, I guess. One day, I attempted a graceful (ha!) entry into the water. She *lost it*. Barking, yapping, running along the beach, looking like she was about to spontaneously combust from excitement. The locals just chuckled. I eventually gave in, and spent the rest of the afternoon sitting on the beach, watching the sea, while she peacefully napped by my bag. It became this bizarre daily ritual. It was the most adorably annoying thing, and I *miss* her. I genuinely miss the bark of that dog.

Any downsides? Anything that’s…less than perfect?

Alright, honesty time. Not *everything* is sunshine and rainbows. There might be the occasional seaweed situation on the beach (but they're usually pretty good at cleaning it up). And some of the roads…well, let's just say they're not for the faint of heart, especiallyStay While You Wander

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Maleme Mare Crete Island Greece

Post a Comment for "Maleme Beach: Crete's Hidden Paradise (Stunning Photos!)"